28 March 2008 @ 02:44 pm
Bleach Spray Bottle Question  
Hey guys...I have a rather odd (I think) issue.

I keep a solution of about 50/50 bleach and water in a spray bottle for cleaning the bathroom.

Every couple of weeks when I use it, the first 20 or so sprays come out dark! It's really strange. Dark liquid sprays out instead of bleach.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by?

Thank you!
 
 
 
( 21 comments — Leave a comment )
Stone of stumbling and rock of offense: busywordweaverlynn on March 28th, 2008 06:48 pm (UTC)
Is the bottle or spray nozzle dark? Maybe you're bleaching the plastic.
Les Sirènes Gitanes Errent Librementsirene_gitane on March 28th, 2008 07:10 pm (UTC)
nope it's clear...it's so strange!
~*~ Renee ~*~winged_embrace on March 28th, 2008 06:55 pm (UTC)
maybe the nozzle has some type of metal component in it that is corroding?
Les Sirènes Gitanes Errent Librementsirene_gitane on March 28th, 2008 07:13 pm (UTC)
It all seems to be plastic.
pepino cantadorsaxomofo on March 28th, 2008 07:03 pm (UTC)
It might be rotting the bottle away. Just FWI 10 parts water to 1 part bleach is really as strong as you need to go to disinfect surfaces. :)
Les Sirènes Gitanes Errent Librementsirene_gitane on March 28th, 2008 07:12 pm (UTC)
Ok...I don't exactly need to have a hospital-sterile bathroom afterall. haha
stemware on March 28th, 2008 07:45 pm (UTC)
IAWTC. From what I've heard, using pure bleach or half bleach / half water, doesn't sterilize any more than using a quarter cup per gallon does.
Mixed feelings: Science Contentgemfyre on March 29th, 2008 01:18 am (UTC)
I'm not sure if the same goes for bleach, but when using alcohol to disinfect a 70% solution is more effective than straight alcohol. This is because the water in the solution gets through the membranes of the bacterial cells and drags the alcohol in with it - which kills the cells. Pure alcohol won't penetrate the cells anywhere near as well.
stemware on March 29th, 2008 02:19 am (UTC)
The same isn't true for bleach.
Mirandasiren82 on March 29th, 2008 07:39 pm (UTC)
Agreed. Bleach you buy at the store is already 5% bleach solution and anything stronger than .5% bleach solution can be harsh on human skin, especially if you have little ones.
The Guerrilla Aesthetegrrillaesthete on March 28th, 2008 07:04 pm (UTC)
You're probably corroding the rubber gasket. Make sure the spray head is empty before storing it.
Les Sirènes Gitanes Errent Librementsirene_gitane on March 28th, 2008 07:11 pm (UTC)
That seems to be the most likely cause...I'll try that. Thanks!
The Guerrilla Aesthetegrrillaesthete on March 28th, 2008 07:13 pm (UTC)
No problem. People put bleach in their toilet tanks and it makes them leak. I think we tend to forget what a strong corrosive bleach is.
billy badasssin_nombre on March 28th, 2008 07:52 pm (UTC)
If there are metal parts in the spray head (i.e., springs), which I'd bet there are, it's probably rust. Bleach is an oxidizer.
tiffanypixievixen on March 28th, 2008 08:31 pm (UTC)
from what i've read, bleach/water solution loses its effectiveness after a day. you are better off buying a premade clorox disinfectant or mixing a small amount in a bucket each time.
Bow ties are cool.mi_nion on March 29th, 2008 12:02 am (UTC)
Yes it is only good for 24 hours. When I ran an EI program, we mixed a small amount daily.
tiffanypixievixen on March 29th, 2008 01:31 am (UTC)
we used a 50/50 solution in the dental office i worked in to clean certain things in the ultrasonic. i just kept a bottle of straight bleach & poured it into baggies of water.
Alicealice_bunnie on March 29th, 2008 12:45 am (UTC)
I had heard that myself, do you know why? And why would a pre-solution with bleach not do the same? The reason I ask is I like the way Clorox Clean Up works, but I really hate the smell. I make a bleach/dishwashing detergent solution into a spray bottle. But, you have confirmed that it loses it's effectiveness like I had heard before. So, I need to find another way to do what I want, but I don't want to mix it up every time I want to clean. :/
tiffanypixievixen on March 29th, 2008 01:27 am (UTC)
try http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=ahsds ?

i am really not sure why it doesn't work, or why the others do, other than they are4 designed to have a shelf life.
Alicealice_bunnie on March 29th, 2008 01:28 am (UTC)
Thanks for looking for me! But that's a disinfectant and I was looking for a cleaner. Appreciate it though. :)
Courtneyjeandayglow on March 28th, 2008 08:54 pm (UTC)
We use a 10% bleach solution at work (a medical facility - bleach is the best germ killer!) and sometimes when we spray things down the water looks a little grimey too. I don't know what causes it though.
( 21 comments — Leave a comment )