Log in

No account? Create an account
06 March 2014 @ 01:38 pm
Bathroom questions!  
Hi, everyone!  I recently moved.  My former apartment was in a neighborhood where the houses was built in the 1880s but there had been a lot of upgrades and remodeling done to convert it into a triplex.  My bathroom, in particular, had been remodeled, literally, days before I moved in.  We moved into an apartment complex into a neighborhood that turned old Victorian era houses and turned them into 2-3 story apartment buildings or duplexes.  I don't believe ours is that old though, I would say between the mid 1930s to mid 1950s.

My two questions are this: Our bathroom is done in powder pink ceramic tile on the walls.  There is a matching towel rack, but the rod itself is gone.  I'm not caring if it matches the pink, I'll settle for black, chrome or the crystal look, but the only problem is this, we couldn't find any at Lowe's.  I'm not sure if I'm just stupid and didn't know where to look, or if they just don't carry it.  Home Depot is an option but Home Depot is about 30 minutes away, and I'm not even sure what to call it, as I googled it and it gave me the whole rack and not the center piece.  I'd really like to find something just for the extra towel space.

Also, any suggestions for a valance?  My old bathroom was hot pink, zebra print and black.  Mostly black, but I worked in the zebra print via containers and a valance, and the pink via decorative towels, accessories and a deco mesh wreath my mom made for me.  I figured out how to work the towels back in without having a place to put them on display, but I'm not sure if there's a way I can use the valance without it looking weird.  There's no windows in this room at all.  Facebook friends suggested putting it over the medicine cabinet, or putting up a mirror and then hanging it over the mirror.  I was thinking maybe putting it on the back of the door.  Any other suggestions or even seconding one of the ones I just listed would be great,  =)

Nancie: Oliver Christmas 2013eicnan on March 6th, 2014 07:43 pm (UTC)
If your towel rack is what I'm thinking of you should have square bar holders not circular which is more common today. You probably want to try "3/4" ceramic square towel rod in your searches".

This might work for you http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melard-24-in-Replacement-Towel-Bar-in-Clear-662318/202202024?N=5yc1vZbz9qZ1z0uwq2Z1z0vm5i

Edited at 2014-03-06 07:50 pm (UTC)
Just mefrkyjenn on March 6th, 2014 10:23 pm (UTC)
I'm a minimalist and I wouldn't put the valance up at all. I don't like unnecessary things that have to be cleaned. lol
snucksnuck on March 6th, 2014 10:32 pm (UTC)
I'm trying to picture a valance in a bathroom - to me a valance is the 'skirt' people put on beds... so I'm thinking a gathered length of fabric to go on/around ... something...? in a bathroom?
Just me: coffeefrkyjenn on March 6th, 2014 10:41 pm (UTC)
Its like really short window curtains that goes across the top of a window. Kind of a decorative piece sometimes over curtains sometimes not.
I was going to attach a link but LJ is being stupid.

snucksnuck on March 7th, 2014 12:20 am (UTC)
Ahh... frilly. I don't do frilly ;)

And I really don't do frilly in a bathroom - that just screams HOUSEWORK to me. WORK!!!!

mirhanda: The Accolademirhanda on March 7th, 2014 02:29 am (UTC)
They don't have to be frilly at all. They can be tailored for a more formal look. For example:


Conscience: Life is weird - can't make this up!conscience on March 6th, 2014 11:34 pm (UTC)
Would the valance fit in size and looks around the sink? Could use two sided velcro to attach.
(Am picturing a sink with no cabinet, for that era)
OR...not use as a valance, but possibly fabric on top of toilet tank under a basket to hold extra towels/washcloths/toiletry items or decorative doodads? Or, thinking way outside of the box, use as a 'skirt' for a shelf on the wall?
lizziebuffy2008: pic#87524519lizziebuffy2008 on March 6th, 2014 11:46 pm (UTC)
In our Lowes, in/near the plumbing section, there is an isle that has shower heads, faucets, bathroom cabinets, and accessories, such as towel rods.
Gold Oyster: o and Igoldoyster on March 7th, 2014 02:31 am (UTC)
I'd put away the valance for now.